Zooplankton density in number per liter for all samples collected from arctic lakes near Toolik Lake Field Station (Arctic LTER) in summer from 1983 to 1992 (inclusive).
NOTE: The dates for 1992 are WRONG in versions 1 and 2.
The original dates were entered in several date formats which resulted in conversion errors.
Data set ID:
EML revision ID:
The samples were taken with a 30 cm diameter plankton net with 335 um mesh plankton netting. In almost all cases replicate vertical tows were taken with the length varying on the depth of the lake. The samples were preserved in an alcohol/formalin solution and stored in 250 mL Nalgene bottles. the samples were counted by taking a subsample of 1 or 2 mL from the bottle and emumerating all zooplankton by species using a M-5 steromicroscope. All samples were counted and enumerated by Steve Swaffar. Notes: S-1 and S-2 density calculations were as follows: Density = (# counted)(bottle vol.)/(vol. counted)(tow vol.)(1000) tow volume = 0.146899 = p(net radius)2 ' 2p(2), Net radius = 0.061 Reference Citations: None relevant to this particular data.
15 lakes or locations within lakes were sampled in 1992 all coded with standard Arctic LTER site codes.
- 100 is Toolik lake main station situated in about 20 m of water in the southern part of the lake where 15m vertical tows were taken.
- 101 Toolik Lake Limno Corrals - Experiments done in Limno Bay
- 102 is Limno Bay of Toolik Lake, the small steep-sided bay to the north of the lake. It was sampled approximately in the middle with a 5 m vertical tow.
- 103 is lake N-1 the large lake due north of Toolik, it was sampled in the north, deep basin with a 12 m vertical tow.
- 104 is lake N-2 a smaller lake due west of N-1. It is divided and the western basin fertilized. Two stations were sampled one in the treated and one in the reference both near the curtain with 5, 6&7 meter vertical tows.
- 116 is Lake I-6, a small lake south of Toolik in the inlet series of lakes to Toolik Lake. It was sampled in the middle with 7 & 9 m vertical tows.
- 118 is Lake I-8, another lake in the inlet series. It was sampled in the middle with 5 & 5.5 m vertical tows.
- 164 is Fog Lake 1 north of Toolik along the haul road, it was samples with 10 m vertical tows.
- 165 is Fog Lake 2 also north of Toolik, it was sampled with 10 m vertical tows.
- 166 is Fog Lake 3 north of Toolik, it was sampled with 14 m vertical hauls.
- 146 is Lake E-1, a small lake east of Toolik camp directly across from the road into camp. It was sampled in the middle with 10 m vertical tows.
- 108 is lake NE-12, a small lake northeast of Toolik. It was sampled in the middle with a 12 m vertical tow.
- 156 is lake S-11 a small but deep lake south of Toolik. It was sampled with 8, 9, &10 m vertical tows.
- 107 is lake S-6 a small lake south of Toolik. It was sampled with 6 m vertical tows.
- 148 is lake S-1, another small, shallow lake south of Toolik. It was also sample with 180 degree net sweeps.
- 149 is lake S-2 a small very shallow lake on the south shore of Toolik Lake. It was sampled with 180 degree 2m deep plankton net sweeps.
Download a comma delimited (csv) or Excel file (includes metadata and data sheets).
Use of the data requires acceptance of the data use policy --> Arctic LTER Data Use Policy
To cite this data set see the citation example on the LTER Network Data Portal page for this data set.